I have lived in Buxton in Temple Ward for over 25 years, moving to the town for work in Macclesfield. My background in local government means I
have an in-depth understanding of the issues, opportunities and challenges facing the Borough Council and am keen to work as a councillor to achieve the best possible outcomes for the area.
Buxton has a strong community spirit and much to be proud of. I see stronger and closer partnerships between the council and local community based groups as a way forward. I want to see local people of all ages and backgrounds involved in improving community life and individual lives. Close to home that is:
• Good housing
• Reliable, affordable transport links
• Clean, safe streets
• Services for children, young people andolder people
• Local investment
More widely, it’s about the environment, climate change and citizen’s rights. If elected I will do my best to talk to local people, listen to concerns and doing all I can to enrich life in Buxton and the High Peak.
For Temple, I will work to:
• Seek to expand and develop environmental measures to protect street trees and the urban environment in the ward
- Secure the benefits of new health service provision close to the railway station
- Ensure Pavilion Gardens Facilities benefit Buxton and the High Peak
- Protect and secure green space for community benefit
- Encourage the Borough Council to develop close collaboration and
partnership working with local voluntary groups such as Buxton Civic
Association and Buxton Town Team
For Buxton, I will work to:
- Maximise the opportunities presented to the town by the opening of the Crescent and associated facilities later this year.
- Improve access across the town to good transport links – road, bus, train, pedestrian and cycle routes
- Refresh the town centre (Future High Street Fund Winners of awards between £5m and £25m will be picked later this summer. It’s a competitive field with a fund of £675m between 320+ eligible authorities. A successful application for Buxton would be a great opportunity for capital investment in consultation with business and residents)
For High Peak, I will work to:
- Develop practical policies to build wealth for the whole community in
collaboration with partners
- Promote productive links between public, private and community bodies
- Build a culture of information sharing and community engagement with council decisions.